When should I begin my taper prior to a powerlifting competition?

Tapering is very important to athletic competition, peaking at exactly the right time is as much art, as it is science. For powerlifting and other power and strength sports, there is no exact formula for planning a taper. When to begin a taper is dictated by many factors including: current training status, nutrition status, hydration status, age, and how close you are to your goal lifts. Some athletes take longer to recover and reach maximal performance than others. Generally speaking the more fit, better hydrated and nutritionally fed a person is, the less time it takes to taper and peak. Age is also certainly a factor; as we age more recovery time is needed to reach maximum performance. When performing a taper, you should gradually wind down activity and stick to light workouts that speed recovery and help get your body ready for the competition. At a very minimum, heavy training and lifting should cease 72 hours before a meet and should be replaced with light workouts like cycling on a bike, and general light warm ups to maximize range of motion and prepare the body for the competition ahead. If you need to make a particular weight class, most experts recommend that you cut the weight gradually and have reached your weight class limit at least a week, preferably two weeks before the meet. Crash dieting to cut weight to make a meet will leave you weak and prone to injury and infection.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

What is the optimal age to introduce competition for kids?
Optimally, younger athletes should begin to compete around the age of 13-14 years old. Focus on the ...
How should I pace my next race?
Start with a controlled, slightly easier effort than threshold for the first 3 minutes, then set...
How can being in love improve my athletic performance?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Love is the drug for better athletic performance. According to a study from California State Univers...
What are the different schools of thought on carbohydrate loading?
The old school of thought was a two stage process in which an athlete would first carb deplete over ...