What is a good stretch for my thighs for board sports?

To stretch the front of the thighs, or quadriceps, start by foam rolling the thighs for 30 seconds and then perform a static standing thigh stretch for 30 seconds. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage in which you apply pressure with a foam roller to the thighs. This breaks up adhesions, or "knots", in the muscle and relaxes the muscle to allow for a better static stretch. Once you have foam rolled the quadriceps, perform a standing thigh stretch, holding the stretch for 30 seconds. To perform the thigh stretch, begin by standing up straight and bending one knee. Grab the insole of the foot and gently pull up toward the glute (butt). Keep both knees together as you pull; you should feel a stretch in the front of the thigh. Make sure you activate your core by drawing-in the belly button to the spine. Perform 1-3 sets of the stretch. If you are stretching just prior to a hockey game, you can do dynamic stretches instead of the static stretch. Dynamic stretches use the momentum of the movement to take the joint through a full range of motion. This helps prepare the body for the fast movements used in the game and raises body temperature. Front-to-back leg swings are a good dynamic thigh stretch. Perform 2 sets of 10 repetitions of the leg swings.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Odd Sports That Provide Great Fitness Benefits
You may not have heard of chess boxing (11 alternating rounds of fisticuffs and chess moves) or underwater rugby (apparently above-ground rugby isn’t ...
How often should I adjust my paces as an athlete?
As athletes get faster, their training paces need to adjust accordingly. What was once a challen...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?