What is a good stretch for my thighs for board sports?

To stretch the front of the thighs, or quadriceps, start by foam rolling the thighs for 30 seconds and then perform a static standing thigh stretch for 30 seconds. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage in which you apply pressure with a foam roller to the thighs. This breaks up adhesions, or "knots", in the muscle and relaxes the muscle to allow for a better static stretch. Once you have foam rolled the quadriceps, perform a standing thigh stretch, holding the stretch for 30 seconds. To perform the thigh stretch, begin by standing up straight and bending one knee. Grab the insole of the foot and gently pull up toward the glute (butt). Keep both knees together as you pull; you should feel a stretch in the front of the thigh. Make sure you activate your core by drawing-in the belly button to the spine. Perform 1-3 sets of the stretch. If you are stretching just prior to a hockey game, you can do dynamic stretches instead of the static stretch. Dynamic stretches use the momentum of the movement to take the joint through a full range of motion. This helps prepare the body for the fast movements used in the game and raises body temperature. Front-to-back leg swings are a good dynamic thigh stretch. Perform 2 sets of 10 repetitions of the leg swings.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I prevent knee injuries if I play sports?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
If you play sports, you can prevent knee injuries by making sure you strengthen your quadriceps and ...
What are risk factors for overtraining?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Other changes besides an increasing workload can put us at greater risk of overtraining. For example...
I slip on the first turn of the pro shuttle drill, what can I improve on?
First, ensure that your shoes have appropriate traction to make the cut on the performance surface. ...
How Can Athletes Enhance Performance?
How Can Athletes Enhance Performance?