What sports are best for kids?

There are various sports that are good for kids. Gymnastics, tumbling, martial/combative arts are great for kids' first sports experience. The more variety the better! Like any endeavor, it comes down to the individual child and the time commitment capabilities of the parents and the child. As kids develop, integration into some team sports like soccer or flag football are great to enhance their athleticism as well as their life-long social skills. More technically skillful sports like lacrosse, baseball, softball, and volleyball can be started early but parents may want to limit highly competitive leagues until the athlete matures. Also, many sports require a high level of what is called "frustration tolerance." This is how athletes learn to deal with adversity. Young kids will need some personal coaching from parents or mentors with this concept before they are ready for a competitive group environment.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Is it necessary for athletic programs to have defibrillators at schools?
Any athletic program should have an automatic external defibrillator or AED on hand. It is one of th...
I slip on the first turn of the pro shuttle drill, what can I improve on?
First, ensure that your shoes have appropriate traction to make the cut on the performance surface. ...
What are the benefits of playing table tennis?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Table tennis is my favorite combo activity. It also happens to be the world's best brain sport. ...
What symptoms alert a young athlete to the possibility of death?
Symptoms that alert an athlete that something serious could be happening, include chest pain, syncop...