What should my heart rate be for my sprint triathlon?

Heart rate is affected by heat, hydration, nutrition, levels of anxiety, and excitement; for this reason I do not prescribe heart rate zones for races. Instead focus on rate of perceived exertion on a scale of 1 to 10, with a 10 being a maximal effort. You should be racing between an 8 and a 9 for the entire race, where your breathing is rhythmic but you could still sprint or attack if you need to. Even a sprint distance triathlon is a long event and you need to keep your efforts controlled. Be sure not to go out at a 10 in the first 30 minutes. Race pacing is tough and it is personal as well. The more experience you get with racing the more you learn what your body can handle and how it tolerates stress at certain points in the race. The best race strategy is to race hard and have fun.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I assess my side-to-side movement speed for combat sports?
The shark skill test is a great assessment for multiple plane movement, coordination and balance...
Are sports coaches a good resource for health and fitness information?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Sports coaches are generally not the best resource for health and fitness. On occasion, you will fin...
Is horseback riding a safe sport?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Horseback riding is a very popular sport in the United States but it does carry an element of risk. ...
What are the disadvantages of racquet sports?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Tennis, squash, and racquetball all tend to develop the body asymmetrically because one arm is used ...