What should my heart rate be for my sprint triathlon?

Heart rate is affected by heat, hydration, nutrition, levels of anxiety, and excitement; for this reason I do not prescribe heart rate zones for races. Instead focus on rate of perceived exertion on a scale of 1 to 10, with a 10 being a maximal effort. You should be racing between an 8 and a 9 for the entire race, where your breathing is rhythmic but you could still sprint or attack if you need to. Even a sprint distance triathlon is a long event and you need to keep your efforts controlled. Be sure not to go out at a 10 in the first 30 minutes. Race pacing is tough and it is personal as well. The more experience you get with racing the more you learn what your body can handle and how it tolerates stress at certain points in the race. The best race strategy is to race hard and have fun.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
On February 18, 2009, the point guard for the Phoenix Suns, Amar′e Stoudemire, was poked in the eye by LA Clippers’ forward Al Thornton. The result? A...
How do I know when my child is ready for a team sports?
You’ll know your child is ready for team sports if she tones interest. She’ll start asking questions...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
What Motivates Athletes?
What Motivates Athletes?