What is the optimal grip width for the snatch?

The general guidelines for snatch grip width is to measure either the distance between your elbows when your arms are held perpendicular to the body or hold one arm 90 degrees from the body and measure the distance between your palm of that hand and the end of your opposite shoulder. Measure these distances and mark them on a bar, this should be where you place your index fingers for the snatch. Whatever grip you choose most coaches recommend that in the over head position the grip leaves enough room for the bar to be approximately 4-6 inches above the crown of your head.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
On February 18, 2009, the point guard for the Phoenix Suns, Amar′e Stoudemire, was poked in the eye by LA Clippers’ forward Al Thornton. The result? A...
How can I use VO2 data to improve my fight performance?
V02 data, also known as VO2 max, maximum aerobic capacity, or maximum oxygen uptake, can help yo...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
What Motivates You to Help Athletes?
What Motivates You to Help Athletes?