What is a good stretch for my calves for board sports?

To stretch the calves for board sports, first foam roll the area for 30 seconds, then perform a standing static calf stretch for 30 seconds. Foam rolling form of self-massage which applies pressure with a foam roller to the calves for 30 seconds. This breaks up adhesions, or "knots", in the muscle and relaxes the muscle to allow for a better static stretch. Next, perform the standing static calf stretch, ensuring that you hold the stretch for 30 seconds and complete 1-3 sets. To stretch the calves, stand with your feet staggered a few feet away from a wall. Put your hands on the wall for support and resistance and push against the wall with the front leg bent and the back leg completely straight. Lean into the wall and keep the back heel on the ground until you feel a stretch develop in the calf. Make sure the back foot is straight ahead and activate the core. For a pre-game routine, use a foam roller on the calf, but follow the foam rolling with dynamic calf stretches. An example of a dynamic stretch is the standing body weight calf raises using a step to allow for full range of motion. Using a 1 second down, 1 second hold in the stretch position, and 1 second up. Perform 2 sets of 10 repetitions of this dynamic stretch.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I improve my quickness for sports?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
Quickness is doing a movement skill in a small amount of time. There are different ways of improving...
What are the rules about wearing jewelry in college sports?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
All jewelry must be removed for games. Taping of earrings and other jewelry is not permitted, bu...
What strength training exercise will help my kicking?
Bridging with one leg extensions will really help with kicking strength and stamina. Bridging wo...
Are school athletic programs required to have emergency medical protocols?
Regulations vary by state to state, and even from city to city and district to district. Ask your sc...