What is the best way to recover from a race?

To minimize your post race soreness hop in a pool. Deep water jogging the day after a race will aid recovery. Head to the deep end of a pool and mimic the run motion. Athletes can remain in place or move around while “jogging.” Try to avoid treading water, and instead maintain proper run form. Some pools have deep water jogging belts, these are fine tools, but it is also possible to deep water run without a belt. Moving muscles will bring blood flow to the area and help flush the metabolic waste (muscle breakdown) from the system. While it may feel somewhat uncomfortable, it is beneficial. A word of caution- there is good pain and bad pain, know the difference between the two and push the good pain to speed recovery, hold back on the bad pain (often the pain of an injury, a muscle strain or a tendonitis of sorts), fully heal and then dive back in to the training. Also make sure to take a recovery drink immediately after a race. I like to put recovery powder in a water bottle and store it in bag check. Then at the finish line I grab an extra bottle of water and mix up my miracle drink. Skipping this step is a bad idea and will just prolong recovery time, eating into precious training days between efforts. Another tip: a little goes a long way- what do I mean by this? Five minutes in an ice bath will make you feel like a million bucks the day after a hard effort- be it the marathon or a hard training day.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

What is the best way to climb?
It is optimal to relax your upper body when climbing so that you can conserve your energy to pow...
How can I improve my quickness for sports?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
Quickness is doing a movement skill in a small amount of time. There are different ways of improving...
I slip on the first turn of the pro shuttle drill, what can I improve on?
First, ensure that your shoes have appropriate traction to make the cut on the performance surface. ...
What is the difference between training indoors and outdoors?
There's good scientific reason why there is a difference between outdoor and indoor exercise. It sta...