What are some benefits of team sports for my child?

Team sports are a great way to get your child moving and can motivate him when he wouldn’t otherwise participate in more solitary activities. Although winning shouldn’t be the primary goal, being a part of a team that excels can spur a child to work harder in order to maintain team rank. If he works hard, he’ll be in better shape; if he’s in shape, his performance is improved; if his performance is improved, team performance is improved. A healthy cycle, and one that I encourage.

Team sports can help:

• Make exercise fun
  • Help children build friendships
  • Promote strong bone mass, reducing the risk of osteoporosis as an adult
  • Improve cardiovascular health
  • Build self-esteem
  • Highlight teamwork
  • Teach self-discipline and goal-setting

Sometimes the physical and psychological demands and expectations of a team are too much for a child. If your child is under 6 years old, consider a team sport where everyone wins in the end; no score or points are kept.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...
It is recommended youths get 60 minutes of physical activity on a daily basis. Team sports are a great way to help achieve this goal! Further, team sports foster psychosocial development in youths. It teaches them how to interact with others, and allows them to understand themselves better.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How often should I adjust my paces as an athlete?
As athletes get faster, their training paces need to adjust accordingly. What was once a challen...
Is being fit different than being prepared for sports performance?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
Being "fit" is a very general term that can include one, multiple, or the entire spectrum of health ...
Should I jump into my turns for the pro shuttle or L-drill?
Unfortunately, jumping into your turns is not good for a successful time. When your feet are off the...
How can I get stronger so I do not get pushed around the basketball court?
The type of training that has the biggest influence on your ability to gain and hold your position i...