What are beginner core exercises for snow skiing?

Examples of basic core exercises for snow skiing include the two-leg floor bridge and prone-iso abs, or plank. The core is the center of the body and where all human movement begins. It is important to have a strong core because it provides stability, deceleration of force, and force production during a ski run. The basic core exercises involve little movement of the spine and hips. They are designed to work on building core muscle endurance and to teach you how to activate the core muscles. To activate the core muscles, use the drawing-in movement and bracing. Drawing-in is bringing the belly button in toward the spine or sucking in the stomach. Bracing is contracting the abs, lower back, and butt muscles at the same time. Both of these movements are important for core stabilization and the basic core exercises will prepare you for more advanced core exercises. To perform the two-leg bridge, lie on your back with the knees bent and feet flat on the ground about hip-width apart. Start the movement by pushing through the heels and driving the hips up in the air; hold at the top and then slowly return to the ground. To perform the prone-iso abs, or plank, lie on your stomach with the elbows under the shoulders and the forearms on the ground. Lift your body up until you are in a flat back position, hold and then return to the ground. Perform 1-2 sets of 15 repetitions of each exercise, holding at the top position for 2 seconds and using a slow tempo. To progress the exercises and make them harder, you can perform single-leg versions or hold for longer time at top.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Are team sports a better option for physical activity?
Casey Smith Casey Smith
I have found that for people who have a hard time adhering to a structured workout routine, team spo...
Are school athletic programs required to have emergency medical protocols?
Regulations vary by state to state, and even from city to city and district to district. Ask your sc...
Is being fit different than being prepared for sports performance?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
Being "fit" is a very general term that can include one, multiple, or the entire spectrum of health ...
My shoulder muscles feel like they are burning, how do I prevent this?
This burning sensation you are referring to is the build-up of lactic acid in the muscles. As the in...