What are basic exercises to help increase my balance for board sports?

Beginning balance exercises for board sports are the single-leg Romanian deadlift exercise and the single-leg lift and chop. These types of exercises help increase joint stabilization and prepare the body for more advanced balance exercises. When performing these balance exercises, complete 1-3 sets of 6-12 repetitions per leg and use a slow tempo. You can rest anywhere from 0-90 seconds between the sets. The goal of these exercises is to maintain control of the movement and also to work on endurance of the stabilizing muscles used for balance. To perform the single-leg Romanian deadlift, stand on one leg with the other foot lifted and floating next to the foot on the ground. Slowly bend at the hip and reach toward the foot on the ground, pause, and slowing return to a standing position. To perform the single-leg lift and chop, stand on one leg with the other foot lifted and floating next to the foot on the ground. Hold a light medicine ball with both hands at the outside hip of the foot that is down; start the movement by slowly taking the ball from the side and bringing it up above the opposite shoulder. Pause at the top of the movement and then slowly return to the starting position. For both exercises, make sure you are using the core by drawing-in the stomach, and if you lose your balance use the lifted foot to stabilize yourself. Once you have master the basic movements, progress by using less stables surfaces like a half foam roll, airex pad, or dyna disc under the balance foot.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Fun Way to Get More Steps: Try Walking Football
We knew Landon Donovan’s career was winding down when he wasn’t named to the last U.S. World Cup Soccer Team. After he retired in 2014 everyone assume...
As a retired athlete, how can I include sports in my life?
Once you step away from the court or the field it can create a profound sense of loss or a crisis of...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?