What are two swim sets to get me ready for race season?

Endurance Set. Warm up: 500-800 meter swim with some pick ups/accelerations. Rest outside of the pool for 2-3 minutes (imagine a race director shouting incomprehensibly on a bull horn). Hop back in and GO! 200 meters all out- imagine those feet and arms pummeling you as you fight for a good position in the pack. Take a 15 second rest (just enough to catch your breath as if you found the perfect feet to draft) and then perform 12x100 meters (or 6x200 meters) at race pace. Take 5-10 seconds rest. Finish off with 100 meter sprint kick to get some blood flow to the legs getting them ready for the bike (and simulating the sprint up the beach). Lactate Tolerance Set. Again practice your pre-race warm up then performn 20x50s on a consistent send off, allowing for 15-20 seconds rest. For example, if you are swimming 40 second 50’s with 20 seconds rest, the send off is 1 minute. If your 50’s drop to 43 seconds, you only get 17 seconds rest. The goal here is to maintain consistent times (you have to work to earn your rest).

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I get stronger so I do not get pushed around the basketball court?
The type of training that has the biggest influence on your ability to gain and hold your position i...
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?
How Important Is Technology for Athletic Performance?
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids