How can I train to be quick?

Paul Winsper
Sports Medicine

The first step in training for quickness is to develop coordinated movement patterns specific to the demands of the quickness drills to be performed. Practicing the ability to speed up, slow down, and change directions with good form are key elements to focus on during the initial stages of quickness training. Once these movement patterns are mastered, then the speed at which they are performed can be increased. As your speed improves, you can then add other challenges to force yourself to react to other outside, unpredictable influences to improve your ability to react quickly. Examples would include reacting to auditory cues (such as a whistle blowing) or someone telling you a specific direction you must go without you knowing what that direction is going to be ahead of time. Continuous practice of the above process results in a quick, successful athlete.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I find a coach for my child?
If you’re thinking about enrolling your child into a sport, typically, the coaches are provide...
What are the different schools of thought on carbohydrate loading?
The old school of thought was a two stage process in which an athlete would first carb deplete over ...
How often should I train for my sport?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
The amount of training needed is dependent on the individual, sport schedule, and specific needs of ...
Is Stress Good or Bad for Athletes?
Is Stress Good or Bad for Athletes?