Can I train my smaller muscle groups with ancillary exercises?

Body building often focuses on many of the same large muscle groups that powerlifting does, but with a different goal in mind. A better approach is focus on movements and lifts that hit under used muscles and then teach them to work in an integrated manner to help improve power lifting performance. Exercise done on unstable surfaces with light weights will help engage many of the smaller muscles to help stabilize and recruit, and will teach the body to use these muscles to help recruit larger muscle groups. Good examples of some exercise you can do to help decrease the risk of injury and improve performance are dumbbell presses done on an unstable surface such as a stability ball, single leg squats, or squats done on a foam pad or BOSU ball. These exercise will train your body to use many more smaller muscles that are often neglected to help balance and stabilize the body. These exercise will not make you stronger in the traditional lifts, but will keep your body healthy and less prone to injury which in the end will lead to better performance.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Odd Sports That Provide Great Fitness Benefits
You may not have heard of chess boxing (11 alternating rounds of fisticuffs and chess moves) or underwater rugby (apparently above-ground rugby isn’t ...
What are some benefits of team sports for my child?
Christopher Giza, MDChristopher Giza, MD
Team sports benefit children in that there are opportunities for teamwork and leadership that can so...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
How Important Are Lifestyle Changes for Professional Athletes?