Any tips on taking my grip strength to the next level?

Building grip strength is the same as building any muscle group. You need stress that muscle group and gradually overload it, to make it stronger. The first step to a stronger grip is to quit using any equipment which assists your grip, namely straps. This forces you not to use your forearm muscles and thus does not help improve strength in these muscles. Another strategy you can use is known as the "hook" grip which is commonly used in Olympic lifting. To use the hook grip you wrap your thumb around the bar first, and then "hook" your finger around the thumb and then the bar. Hence the name of the grip. Use of chalk can also decrease slippage and help your grip. Continue to grip the bar without the use of straps as often as possible to develop your forearm strength. You can also improve grip strength by grabbing objects that are difficult to grasp, or that have their weight unevenly distributed. Sand bags are very popular for this purpose.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
On February 18, 2009, the point guard for the Phoenix Suns, Amar′e Stoudemire, was poked in the eye by LA Clippers’ forward Al Thornton. The result? A...
How do I know where I rank compared to other athletes?
The singular best way to compare athletes' results with others is with the Age Graded Calculator...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
What Motivates Athletes?
What Motivates Athletes?