Is stepping backward before I move forward bad for quickness?

For a sports combine event, stepping backwards or what is termed a "bucket step," can be devastating. This can add two tenths of a second to your time, which might be enough to down-grade your performance status. For sports performance, sometimes the reactive component of competition requires an additional step in order to execute the movement properly and safely. For sports combine events, you should focus on getting from one point to another as efficiently and effectively as possible.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Fun Way to Get More Steps: Try Walking Football
We knew Landon Donovan’s career was winding down when he wasn’t named to the last U.S. World Cup Soccer Team. After he retired in 2014 everyone assume...
How often should I train for my sport?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
The amount of training needed is dependent on the individual, sport schedule, and specific needs of ...
What are the different schools of thought on carbohydrate loading?
The old school of thought was a two stage process in which an athlete would first carb deplete over ...
Are team sports a better option for physical activity?
Casey Smith Casey Smith
I have found that for people who have a hard time adhering to a structured workout routine, team spo...