Are sports coaches a good resource for health and fitness information?

A sports coach with the right qualifications can be a good resource for health and fitness. However, since a sports coach typically specializes in preparing athletes in the proper execution of game situations it is possible that their knowledge may be limited. Check the qualifications of the professional before relying solely on their guidance for a health and fitness program. Ask about their education, certifications, and experience. The more information you have about the professional, the better able you will be to determine their if they are a reliable resource.

Sports coaches are generally not the best resource for health and fitness. On occasion, you will find uniquely qualified coaches that carry the proper certifications to provide advice on health and fitness. Generally, coaches spend the majority of their time on practice/game preparation.

Most Quality Sports coaches do have a resource available that can provide qualified advice. If not, you have Sharecare at your fingertips. 

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

What sports can help stimulate my brain?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
The most powerful brain boosters are activities that combine both aerobic activity and coordination....
When is a good time of day for athletic practice?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
When choosing times for athletic practice, you need to consider the conditions at which the field wi...
As a retired athlete, how can I include sports in my life?
Mr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite TrainerMr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite Trainer
After retiring from a sport, especially if it was your profession, can leave one dealing with a sens...
Are Athletes Programmed to Succeed?
Are Athletes Programmed to Succeed?