Are sports coaches a good resource for health and fitness information?

Coaches are not a good resource to get information from on your health and fitness needs.  Good coaches will always refer you to a conditioning coach.  Coaches usually are not educated in the area of health and fitness.  That's why teams carry a conditioning coach.
As an active sports coach, I am well aware that many sports coaches focus primarily on the competition and sometimes disregard the importance of proper physical conditioning.  Because of this, their knowledge of fitness may be limited to specific drills or a 'run a lot/lift a lot' approach.  The coach may be a gifted gametime strategist but may be not be the best person to guide you towards your fitness goals.  I would definitely check the coaches credentials or better yet seek help from a certified fitness professional.
Joel Merritt
Fitness
Unfortunately sports coaches are often times not the best source of advice for health and fitness.  In my experience both as an athlete and a trainer, many coaches base their fitness and health teaching on traditions handed down to them from their former coaches rather than it being science based information.  Do not ever be afraid to find out what qualifications the coach has.  Many coaches in an effort to give the proper information do pursue education in the area of health and fitness, but you should never just assume they know.

In my experience, sports coaches generally are not a good source of information on health & fitness.  Often times they have not had the proper education in this area.  Many coaches that want to be successful do obtain extra education in the area of exercise science.  This helps them properly train their athletes.

I will have to answer this yes and no.  Some sports coaches do have the background and experience to help you with your health and fitness needs.  However, there have been some coaches out there that have no real experience in health and fitness.  If you even look at some high school and college coaches their backgrounds are in completely different fields.  It wouldn't hurt to ask what their qualifications are so you know you are getting the right advice.

Sports coaches are generally not the best resource for health and fitness. On occasion, you will find uniquely qualified coaches that carry the proper certifications to provide advice on health and fitness. Generally, coaches spend the majority of their time on practice/game preparation.

Most Quality Sports coaches do have a resource available that can provide qualified advice. If not, you have Sharecare at your fingertips. 

A sports coach with the right qualifications can be a good resource for health and fitness. However, since a sports coach typically specializes in preparing athletes in the proper execution of game situations it is possible that their knowledge may be limited. Check the qualifications of the professional before relying solely on their guidance for a health and fitness program. Ask about their education, certifications, and experience. The more information you have about the professional, the better able you will be to determine their if they are a reliable resource.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Odd Sports That Provide Great Fitness Benefits
You may not have heard of chess boxing (11 alternating rounds of fisticuffs and chess moves) or underwater rugby (apparently above-ground rugby isn’t ...
How can I get back into active sports again after my injury?
Derak Glover, NASM Elite TrainerDerak Glover, NASM Elite Trainer
Your physician has cleared you; now it’s time to realign. Depending on your injury, your body has c...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
How Important Are Lifestyle Changes for Professional Athletes?