How can I get back into active sports again after my injury?

The first step is to get cleared by your physician to make sure that your injury is healed to the point you can participate in sports again. Once that happens start by engaging in regular physical activity to strengthen and recondition your body. Start with exercise to correct any possible muscular imbalances that have occurred followed by working to develop muscular endurance. Focus on single joint, and progress to whole body movements focusing on 15 to 20 repetitions per set, and several sets. Once you have developed muscular endurance, transition to muscular strength exercises again starting with single joint and progressing to total body movements and focusing on 5 to 8 repetitions per set. Once you have developed muscular strength, develop muscular power by focusing on explosive movements using 5 to 10 percent of your body weight for 10 repetitions. Once you have developed muscular endurance, strength and power, you can start transitioning back into your sport. Start with light practice and as your endurance and skill level gets back to normal levels you can eventually return to your pre-injury levels.

Starts with attitude and willingness to get back in the game. From that point, very important to build a solid foundation using corrective exercise to reduce risk of further injury. Sharecare is loaded with fitness experts focused on corrective exercise and can be a valuable tool in your journey. Find a coach and let them assist along the way.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I prevent my child from burning out in sports?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
Today we are trying to make sure we keep our kids active and healthy.  We want them to be a part of ...
What is the optimal age to introduce competition for kids?
Optimally, younger athletes should begin to compete around the age of 13-14 years old. Focus on the ...
What are the rules about wearing jewelry in college sports?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
All jewelry must be removed for games. Taping of earrings and other jewelry is not permitted, bu...
How can I help develop my child's sports skills?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Sports should be what kids do -- not who they are. Common pitfalls can often be averted if parents a...