What are some drills that will help my softball conditioning?

When designing a softball conditioning program there are two different goals to keep in mind.  The first is general conditioning.  Because the games and the season can be long, you need to be able to stay focused and ready at any time to react to a ball or to sprint around the bases.  Longer, steady-state (low intensity) training will help with the aerobic base while some one-minute intervals will help build cardio strength.  Once you have developed this strong cardiovascular base, then you can do more sport-specific drills to help with speed and prepare your body to create power quickly.  Pickup drills will help with reaction and coordination while adding the sprint for conditioning.  To perform these drills, a player should react to ten balls bounced to them as they move in a lateral shuffle, at close range, and have them toss the balls back to the coach before sprinting sixty yards.  The players will return and repeat the drill up to ten times.  Practice sprint drills that focus on base running.  The player sprints from home to second as if they hit a double or have them steal second base to work on power and base running skills.  Repeat the drills with little rest to promote fatigue as if they are in the later innings of a game.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Sports Physicals 101: Who Needs Them and Why
For many students, the back to school routine usually involves seeing their doctor for a yearly checkup. Once kids reach middle school, high school an...
How can I improve my quickness for sports?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
Quickness is doing a movement skill in a small amount of time. There are different ways of improving...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
Are Athletes Programmed to Succeed?
Are Athletes Programmed to Succeed?