Is it safe for my child to take high-energy drinks while playing sports?

Drinks that contain a large amount of caffeine, or other stimulants are not designed for children to consume and the dosages are designed for adult size bodies and metabolisms.  Non stimulant drinks such as an electrolyte based drinks are safe for children to drink, but for most events under 90 minutes in duration, there is little evidence to support that they improve performance. For most activities, water is the best option for your child.

A typical 12 ounce energy drink has about three times the amount of caffeine as does a 12 ounce Coca-Cola. For children and adults, too much caffeine can cause jitteriness and nervousness, upset stomach, headaches, difficulty concentrating, difficulty sleeping, increased heart rate and increased blood pressure. Water is always a safe option.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Sports Physicals 101: Who Needs Them and Why
For many students, the back to school routine usually involves seeing their doctor for a yearly checkup. Once kids reach middle school, high school an...
Is horseback riding a safe sport?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Horseback riding is a very popular sport in the United States but it does carry an element of risk. ...
How can I use VO2 data to improve my fight performance?
V02 data, also known as VO2 max, maximum aerobic capacity, or maximum oxygen uptake, can help yo...
Who can I ask about increasing sports performance for youth athletes?
Ask the directors of various local sports facilities. Many of these facilities now specialize in you...