How can plyometrics be added to a sports training program?

Plyometrics are an important part of an integrated sports training program. They can help develop optimal levels of strength and also promote the development of quick and powerful movements often required in sport. Furthermore, plyometric activities help strengthen the soft-tissue structures surrounding the joints which can help with injury prevention and joint health. Volume of a plyometric training program is often measured by tracking the number of foot counts. Intensity is adjusted by the rate of contraction, the horizontal or vertical displacement, the load, or a combination of the above. The phase of training you are in or your individual goals will determine how you include plyometrics into your program.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I improve my quickness for sports?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
Quickness is doing a movement skill in a small amount of time. There are different ways of improving...
What is a good strength exercise for kicking?
The back squat is an excellent exercise to help with the swim kick as it mandates an activation ...
What are the disadvantages of racquet sports?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Tennis, squash, and racquetball all tend to develop the body asymmetrically because one arm is used ...
What Elements Make an Athlete Extra-Successful?