Can I get over-specialized in my sports performance training?

Yes!  You'll hear or read many theories of training, but most experts agree balance, cross-training, and core stabilization and strengthening can all be important parts of a healthy training plan WITHOUT compromising important specialty, or sport-specific, training methods. You will not meet a professional athlete nowadays who doesn't incorporate several training methods and components as part of a whole training program.
Paul Winsper
Sports Medicine
Yes. Often in the rush to perfect a certain athletic skill or bolster a sport-specific trait, we can miss some fundamental training concepts. In sports performance training, you might forget to create a foundation of balanced athleticism, injury resiliency, and general fitness. As a result, we can perform less than expected or suffer other setbacks. You can avoid over-specialization in one of two ways:
  1. Ensure the beginning of an off-season program is multi-faceted and focuses more on developing general fitness and health. Zone-in on healing acute or nagging injuries, building different forms of strength, tapping into all types of cardio conditioning, and spending more time on flexibility; spend the first 4-8 weeks of an off-season in a well-rounded program. When you do this, you will get better gains when you specialize later, avoid burn out, and significantly reduce injuries; and
  2. Always add some different set, repetition, or exercise variations throughout your program. Many training plans are periodized, which means they progress the intensity of the workout as our bodies adapt to the effort. More often than not, a specialized program does not train you to improve your general health and fitness, so add at least one or two exercises a day that vary from the typical set, repetition, and exercise combinations that are used in your specialized program.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Are school athletic programs required to have emergency medical protocols?
Regulations vary by state to state, and even from city to city and district to district. Ask your sc...
How can I train to be quick?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
The first step in training for quickness is to develop coordinated movement patterns specific to the...
How can I prevent my child from burning out in sports?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
Today we are trying to make sure we keep our kids active and healthy.  We want them to be a part of ...
What Makes an Athlete?
What Makes an Athlete?