Should I jump into my turns for the pro shuttle or L-drill?

Unfortunately, jumping into your turns is not good for a successful time. When your feet are off the ground, you are unable to apply force, and running fast in any drill is about applying force to cover more ground with less steps and quicker turnover. Jumping into your turns won't be great for your time, but this technique can be tempting. When you jump into your turns or use any sort of cutting motion, you create an elastic effect within your muscles. This elastic effect seemingly propels you and in an equal and opposite direction. That's why when you jump (sometimes the higher the better), you spring out of your turns which feels good. Instead of jumping, try to get both feet to land simultaneously while allowing the knees to bend and then springing out. With practice, you can get the same feeling and an even better result on the clock.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I get stronger to perform better?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
To get stronger you first need to do a very thorough assessment. It can include an overhead squat, s...
What strength training exercise will help my kicking?
Bridging with one leg extensions will really help with kicking strength and stamina. Bridging wo...
When is a good time of day for athletic practice?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
When choosing times for athletic practice, you need to consider the conditions at which the field wi...
How Important Is Technology for Athletic Performance?