Should I jump into my turns for the pro shuttle or L-drill?

Unfortunately, jumping into your turns is not good for a successful time. When your feet are off the ground, you are unable to apply force, and running fast in any drill is about applying force to cover more ground with less steps and quicker turnover. Jumping into your turns won't be great for your time, but this technique can be tempting. When you jump into your turns or use any sort of cutting motion, you create an elastic effect within your muscles. This elastic effect seemingly propels you and in an equal and opposite direction. That's why when you jump (sometimes the higher the better), you spring out of your turns which feels good. Instead of jumping, try to get both feet to land simultaneously while allowing the knees to bend and then springing out. With practice, you can get the same feeling and an even better result on the clock.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Sports Physicals 101: Who Needs Them and Why
For many students, the back to school routine usually involves seeing their doctor for a yearly checkup. Once kids reach middle school, high school an...
Will my performance training in one sport transfer to other sports?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
Most of the time, in order to get better at your sport, the best method is to play that sport.  Ther...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
Does the Athletic Challenge for Peak Performance Translate to Common Goals for Everyone?