Is there more than one type of coping?

There are two major categories of coping: problem focused coping and emotion focused coping. Problems focused coping involves efforts to alter or manage problems that cause stress for an athlete during competition. Two problem focused coping strategies include goal setting and time management. Emotion focused coping involves regulating the emotional response to problems that cause stress for an athlete during competition. Some emotion focused coping strategies include deep breathing, meditation and relaxation.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

What are the rules about wearing jewelry in college sports?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
All jewelry must be removed for games. Taping of earrings and other jewelry is not permitted, bu...
Which tests at a sports combine evaluate strong someone is?
Bench press is one test that assesses strength, however, strength is a component of every drill at a...
How do I keep from getting stuck in the 2nd turn of the pro shuttle drill?
Athletes usually have a lot of momentum going into the second turn of the pro shuttle drill because ...
How many calories do I burn stand up paddleboarding?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Estimates of calories burned stand up paddleboarding in a one-hour workout range from 250 to 1,000, ...