How can I increase my shoulder range of motion during the snatch?

Eric Beard
Sports Medicine

To improve your shoulder range of motion for snatches the following areas should be stretched; pectorals, lats, levator scapulae and the posterior capsule of your shoulder. Using a foam roll or self massage technique before stretching can increase the effectiveness of your stretches. Hold your stretches for at least 30 seconds for 2-3 sets on either side of the body. It is important that you develop symmetrical ranges of motion when using a barbell over head. Lack of symmetrical range of motion can lead to injury even throughout the rest of the body.

Once passive range of motion has been developed the equal amount of shoulder stability and strength most be used to control that range of motion. Shoulder stability work can include 3-5 exercises performed for 10-15 reps slowly 3 times per week.  Range of motion without control of that range of motion is as dangerous of lack of range of motion.

Work on increasing range of motion by foam rolling your shoulders and upper back holding tender spots for 30 seconds before and after workouts. Then statically stretch your shoulders and back by positioning yourself on all fours with one arm on a stability ball. Reach that arm out as far as you can by rolling the ball forward and hold that stretch for 30 seconds. Then perform a dynamic movement such as medicine ball flexion and extension. Hold a medicine ball, bend forward and reach the medicine ball between your legs. Then stand back up and reach the medicine ball up over your head reach back behind you. Repeat 10 times.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Is horseback riding a safe sport?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Horseback riding is a very popular sport in the United States but it does carry an element of risk. ...
Can I get over-specialized in my sports performance training?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
Yes. Often in the rush to perfect a certain athletic skill or bolster a sport-specific trait, we can...
Does video taping yourself in practice really help improve your game?
Potentially. Video taping yourself is a great method of getting a realistic view of your form, t...
How do I keep from getting stuck in the 2nd turn of the pro shuttle drill?
Athletes usually have a lot of momentum going into the second turn of the pro shuttle drill because ...