How can I incorporate unstable environments into my training program?

Baseball and softball players can benefit from training in unstable environments in a number of ways. First, as in many sports, athleticism requires the ability to stabilize, decelerate, and accelerate in all three planes of motion. In order to move efficiently, optimal balance is required. Balance is an essential part of the swing and throw mechanics. Using an apparatus such as a stability ball, BOSU, TRX, or trampoline can increase the intensity of exercises that are traditionally done on stable ground. If you don't have access to gym equipment, consider performing your training in the sand.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

When is a good time of day for athletic practice?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
When choosing times for athletic practice, you need to consider the conditions at which the field wi...
Are there rules regarding outside temperature and sports for children?
When the temperature is high (generally above 90 degrees) and humidity is high (generally above 50%)...
Where do I start when it comes to training for a sport combine?
Before you set foot in the gym, track, or field, take time to write down your goals for the upcoming...
How Important Is Technology for Athletic Performance?