What should be included in the pre-season training for softball?

The goal of pre-season cardiovascular training for softball is to build a good aerobic base.  For some softball players it might also mean weight management.  To start the process for both building a base and weight loss you will need to build up the work capacity.  This is done by performing lower-intensity work, on cardio equipment if possible, to reduce the pounding on your joints.  Pre-season training is meant to prepare you for the season, so there is a fine line between preparing for the season and setting you up for burnout in the middle of the year.  Building the work capacity slowly is a safe way to ensure you are at peak at the right time during the season.  Once you can handle at least thirty minutes of low-intensity training it is time to increase your aerobic base by pushing your anaerobic threshold higher.  Softball is made up of a series of anaerobic bursts, so preparing to strengthen the anaerobic system is very important.  By the end of the pre-season, focus on anaerobic training by working on ball drills and base running as conditioning drills.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Can I train to improve all my test scores for a sports combine?
Absolutely! It's about building upon your athletic attributes, improving your technique in each indi...
What sports can help stimulate my brain?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
The most powerful brain boosters are activities that combine both aerobic activity and coordination....
What strength training exercise will help my kicking?
Bridging with one leg extensions will really help with kicking strength and stamina. Bridging wo...
What are the benefits of playing table tennis?
Table tennis is my favorite combo activity. It also happens to be the world's best brain sport. ...