How can I improve my quickness for sports?

Quickness is doing a movement skill in a small amount of time. There are different ways of improving quickness in all sport activities, but with basketball, we like to do agility ball drills. We also do box drills that may include shuffling, karaoke, and sprinting. We do mirror drills in which one player will look at another player and will move in directions front, back, side-to-side and diagonal patterns. There are cone agility drills, which include sprinting to cones and around cones, while other drills include sprinting, shuffling, backwards running and agility/speed ladder. The speed ladder is one of the most important things that we use and there are a variety of exercises that you can do with a speed ladder such as in-and-out, side-to-side, one-foot, two-foot and Ali shuffle. As far as some strengthening exercises used to aid quickness, we have our athletes do calf raises and a gluteus medius circuit.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How frequently and for what duration should younger athletes be training?
For young kids, organized training once or twice per week for no more than an hour, is acceptable. T...
What's more important for a sports combine, strength or speed?
Speed; although strength helps you gain speed as you develop your athleticism and is always necessar...
I need to work on my first-step quickness, any ideas?
Racing is the best way to improve your ability to get off the line. Either against someone else, or ...
What Are the Common Challenges Across the Sports Spectrum?