I slip on the first turn of the pro shuttle drill, what can I improve on?

First, ensure that your shoes have appropriate traction to make the cut on the performance surface. If your shoes have enough traction, you need to ensure two things to promote a quicker and less slippery turn:

1. Stay low by bending at the knees, not at the waist. Straighter knees are unable to push off the ground aggressively and when you bend at the waist your balance will be thrown off - both body positions can lead to a wipe out;
  2. Redistribute more weight on the newly established front leg. As you turn, one leg will be further from the direction you are re-directing towards while the other will be near. Most slips occur because too much of your body weight is on that far leg and not enough on the near leg. You are susceptible to getting too high and slipping when this is the case. As soon as you make your turn, focus on getting more body weight on your near leg - this will balance your body weight and momentum on both legs more evenly, giving you an increased ability to re-direct. An athlete who stays low and looks balanced, will spring out of the turn.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Fun Way to Get More Steps: Try Walking Football
We knew Landon Donovan’s career was winding down when he wasn’t named to the last U.S. World Cup Soccer Team. After he retired in 2014 everyone assume...
What strength training exercise will help my kicking?
Bridging with one leg extensions will really help with kicking strength and stamina. Bridging wo...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
What Motivates Athletes?
What Motivates Athletes?