I keep slipping at the start of a sprint, how can I fix that?

If you are slipping from the start, you should do these two things:

1. Bring your back foot closer to your front foot. This shortening of your stance puts more weight on your back foot and gives you a more prominent forward lean at the start; and
  2. Once your stance is compacted, place more emphasis on the back leg. Your back leg is further underneath your hips, has better traction with the ground, and is ready to be used to break your inertia off the line. You should hold a very aggressive stance - the lower the better and the more knee-bend the better.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
On February 18, 2009, the point guard for the Phoenix Suns, Amar′e Stoudemire, was poked in the eye by LA Clippers’ forward Al Thornton. The result? A...
How do I map out my goals for a sports season?
Step 1: Take stock in what went well and what didn’t go well in your last season. What successes d...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
How Can Athletes Enhance Performance?
How Can Athletes Enhance Performance?