How do I strengthen my ankles for board sports?

To improve ankle strength and prevent injury it is important to improve proprioception, or the feed back you get from the ankle joint. You can do this by performing a superset of a strength exercise immediately followed by a stabilization exercise that both involve the ankle joint. This type of training requires the use of the following acute variables: 2-4 sets of 8-12 repetitions using a medium tempo for the strength exercise and a slow tempo for the stabilization exercise; rest for 30 seconds between supersets. An example workout to strengthen ankles is: 2 sets of 10 repetitions of calf raises on a machine supersetted with 2 sets of 10 repetitions of single-leg squats. Follow this group with 2 sets of 10 repetitions of seated calf raises supersetted with 2 sets of 10 repetitions of single-leg step-ups to balance. To make the strength exercises more difficult, you can increase the amount of weight you use as resistance. To make the stabilization exercises more difficult, you can stand on less stable surfaces such as a half foam roll, airex pad, or dyna disc. By doing these exercises you can improve ankle joint stability and increase the muscle, tendon, and ligament strength of the ankle joint.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How does anger affect my athletic performance?
Anger has many impacts on performance. The biggest impact of anger on performance is that it doe...
Why do I tense up at the end of my sprint?
It is quite common for you to try too hard as you finish a sprint. Your desire to perform well can h...
My reactions are slow no matter how hard I try, any suggestions?
Sometimes the pressure to do your best can actually work against you. Relax and take some pressure o...
What Elements Make an Athlete Extra-Successful?