How should I approach my next race?

Race Day Prep: Many veteran age groupers have already learned from the experiences of forgotten cycling shoes. Take a look around next time you are in the transition area. Try to spot the cleanest, tidiest and most organized area; then look who it belongs to. I venture to bet that it belongs to an older, or at least more experienced, triathlete. The less frantic you are before a race, the less energy you waste and the faster you’ll go when the gun goes off.

Racing: Once the race starts, age doesn’t matter. What is consistent across all age groups is the desire to reach the finish line as quickly as possible. Perhaps the only difference we see among age groupers as they age is an improved ability to listen to their bodies.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Odd Sports That Provide Great Fitness Benefits
You may not have heard of chess boxing (11 alternating rounds of fisticuffs and chess moves) or underwater rugby (apparently above-ground rugby isn’t ...
How do I know where I rank compared to other athletes?
The singular best way to compare athletes' results with others is with the Age Graded Calculator...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?