My son is a pitcher. How can he prevent injury to his elbow/shoulder?

Baseball players in general are predisposed to shoulder injuries; pitchers in particular, even more so. This is because they throw the ball many more times than their teammates. To prevent injury, make sure your son is getting adequate rest after practice and games. A corrective exercise program that targets the upper extremities is also very beneficial. This lengthens the muscles that are tight and overused, and strengthens the muscles that are lengthened and weak as a result of altered movement patterns caused by the tight muscles.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Is stepping backward before I move forward bad for quickness?
For a sports combine event, stepping backwards or what is termed a "bucket step," can be devastating...
How can I use VO2 data to improve my fight performance?
V02 data, also known as VO2 max, maximum aerobic capacity, or maximum oxygen uptake, can help yo...
Should I jump into my turns for the pro shuttle or L-drill?
Unfortunately, jumping into your turns is not good for a successful time. When your feet are off the...
What is the best conditioning for explosive sports?
To condition your body for explosive sports, it will be important to implement a progressive trainin...