How do past negative experiences impact my sports performance?

Any time there is a negative experience in your life it will have an impact on you. If you are able to work through that negative experience shortly after it happens to figure out what could have happened differently, then it's less likely to impact you (as greatly) later in your life. If you are unable to work through a negative experiences shortly after its happened, that experience will continue to follow you and usually will continue to pop up in your life. For example, when you were a kid playing soccer you missed the tie-breaking goal to win the championship. During that time you never had the opportunity to talk about missing that goal and kids made fun of you, your coach was mad at you, and you felt disappointment from your parents. The thoughts and feelings associated with that missed goal will continue to unconsciously be a part of your life until you're put into that situation or a similar situation again. In that situation or similar situation all of those thoughts and feelings will surface and added to that will be the fear of missing that goal.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How do I know where I rank compared to other athletes?
The singular best way to compare athletes' results with others is with the Age Graded Calculator...
Is circuit training best for training peak conditioning in sports?
Circuit training is an effective form of conditioning for an athlete, however it may not always be t...
I need to work on my first-step quickness, any ideas?
Racing is the best way to improve your ability to get off the line. Either against someone else, or ...
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?