How do I map out my goals for a sports season?

Step 1: Take stock in what went well and what didn’t go well in your last season. What successes did you have last year? – List all of them, don’t be shy. Why do you think you succeeded? – There are no wrong answers here, from the dog- your new training partner, to the pretty pink shorts you will always race in, whatever you attribute your successes to, jot them down, this is a running list. What did you not obtain in your last season that you had hoped to accomplish? Honesty will get your closer to putting these goals back on the list for this year. Don’t give up, re-commit. Why do you think you fell short? Again, no wrong answers, if you believe that it’s because your wife/husband switched coffee brands, if it's true for you, write it down. What did you learn from the experience and how can you do better in this year? Here is where you can edit, synthesize all of what you have written above and integrate those answers together into this answer. In the above step you were listing, here you are processing.

Step 2: Establish your current baseline. Do a field test and figure out where you are TODAY- this is a very important piece of the puzzle, it is the first piece of data you will need to work towards your goals.

Step 3: Find a calendar and create a time line. Pick a goal race(s) and mark it on the calendar. Now work backwards and add some secondary races that will help prepare you for your ultimate objective. If your goal race is two weeks away, pick a few more goals throughout the year. Your goal race doesn’t have to be Dec 23, but nor should it be March 1- there’s a lot of year left after March. Secondary races should be spread out by 3-6 weeks to allow for ample recovery and a full build between events. Stacking too many races together can compromise the quality of your training sessions as you will have to focus on recovery between races instead of building fitness between events.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How does anger affect my athletic performance?
Anger has many impacts on performance. The biggest impact of anger on performance is that it doe...
Can a general strength program be used by young track athletes?
Until more research can be done, safety standards suggest that athletes aged 15 years or less sh...
Should I jump into my turns for the pro shuttle or L-drill?
Unfortunately, jumping into your turns is not good for a successful time. When your feet are off the...
Can my child wear a splint or a cast while playing a competitive sport?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
A child may be able to play sports while wearing a cast, depending on what part of their body was in...