How do I launch an attack to pull ahead?

To win bike races you have to be the first one across the line. If you have held with the lead group over many hours and many miles, you have done much of the hard work already. However to clinch that win you need to separate yourself from the pack. In order to do this you very likely will have to pull ahead with a sprint effort. The first part of the sprint is the jump. To initiate the jump, shift into a smaller gear than the one you are riding in presently. You do this because you can accelerate faster in a smaller gear than you can in a bigger one. Jump in a small gear to quickly launch your attack. Once you have pulled away, you can then shift into a bigger gear to maintain, and even increase your effort. Make sure that when you are shifting, you are maintaining your cadence. Resist the urge to shift too quickly and get bogged down in the gear. Instead wait until you are spinning out the gear you are in, and then shift into a harder gear. This will allow you to maximize your momentum and pedal cadence and minimize the increased power needed to turn the pedals over. Keep the high cadence and hard gear cranking until you cross the finish line ahead of your competitors.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I improve my cardio for sports performance?
In order to utilize cardio training to improve your sports performance, you will have to incorporate...
Is horseback riding a safe sport?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Horseback riding is a very popular sport in the United States but it does carry an element of risk. ...
What is the best thing to do for my core to increase my performance?
Core training is an essential component for every sport and the best way to implement it is through ...
How Precise Can You Fine-Tune an Athlete?