How do I launch an attack to pull ahead?

To win bike races you have to be the first one across the line. If you have held with the lead group over many hours and many miles, you have done much of the hard work already. However to clinch that win you need to separate yourself from the pack. In order to do this you very likely will have to pull ahead with a sprint effort. The first part of the sprint is the jump. To initiate the jump, shift into a smaller gear than the one you are riding in presently. You do this because you can accelerate faster in a smaller gear than you can in a bigger one. Jump in a small gear to quickly launch your attack. Once you have pulled away, you can then shift into a bigger gear to maintain, and even increase your effort. Make sure that when you are shifting, you are maintaining your cadence. Resist the urge to shift too quickly and get bogged down in the gear. Instead wait until you are spinning out the gear you are in, and then shift into a harder gear. This will allow you to maximize your momentum and pedal cadence and minimize the increased power needed to turn the pedals over. Keep the high cadence and hard gear cranking until you cross the finish line ahead of your competitors.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Fun Way to Get More Steps: Try Walking Football
We knew Landon Donovan’s career was winding down when he wasn’t named to the last U.S. World Cup Soccer Team. After he retired in 2014 everyone assume...
How can I improve my quickness for sports?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
Quickness is doing a movement skill in a small amount of time. There are different ways of improving...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?
Are Athletes Better Protected Today?