How can I help my kids play sports without burning out?

Playing sports brings many benefits, such as improved fitness and better social skills. But pressure to succeed at a young age has mounted in recent years, setting the stage for more physical overuse injuries. Injuries such as stress fractures in children were unheard of years ago but now have become more common.

Pushing kids too hard can also overwhelm the mind. Sports specialization at young ages has penetrated down to the baby crib. Focusing a child’s effort on a single sport full-time with the hope of gaining a competitive edge can lead to emotional stress or burnout.

Even good intentions (such as securing an athletic scholarship) can cause harm if they encourage inappropriate activities for a child, produce unrealistic expectations and are not coupled with important knowledge of development. Sports should be what kids do -- not who they are.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

What is the best thing to do for my core to increase my performance?
Core training is an essential component for every sport and the best way to implement it is through ...
How can I stay lower during my turns for the pro shuttle drill?
Staying low in your turns for the pro shuttle drill is definitely beneficial to your performance; ho...
What's more important for a sports combine, strength or speed?
Speed; although strength helps you gain speed as you develop your athleticism and is always necessar...
How early should a young athlete begin specializing for sport?
Certain sports have an earlier specialization requirement than others. A short list of early special...