How can I increase my strength for snow skiing?

To build strength for skiing, perform supersets of traditional, stable strength exercises with medium weight immediately follwed by stabilization exercises with lighter weight. Strength training such as this is important for snow skiing as it helps your body be prepared to absorb impact and strengthens your ligaments and tendons. Use the following acute variables to perform this type of strength training: 2-4 supersets of 8-12 repetitions of a strength exercise with medium weights followed by a stability exercise with lighter weights. Use a medium tempo for the first exercise and a slow tempo for the second exercise. Rest 60 seconds after completing both exercises. Some examples of supersets include leg presses supersetted with walking lunges and leg curls supersetted with stability ball leg curls. To perform stability ball leg curls, begin by laying on your back with the calves resting on the ball and the feet pointing up toward the ceiling. Engage the core and bridge up by lifting the hips off the ground. Now pull the ball in toward the glutes, hold this position, and slowly return to the starting position. Be sure to keep the hips up until the set is complete.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Sports Physicals 101: Who Needs Them and Why
For many students, the back to school routine usually involves seeing their doctor for a yearly checkup. Once kids reach middle school, high school an...
How can I incorporate unstable environments into my training program?
Baseball and softball players can benefit from training in unstable environments in a number of ...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
How Important Is Technology for Athletic Performance?