How does a pre-performance routine help?

A pre-performance routine can be used prior to an event and is helpful as a way to control the environment, provide stability in a highly unstable environment, trigger concentration, help decrease anxiety, and provide positive focus to someone who normally engages in negative self talk. Many athletes develop their own routine prior to an event, unconsciously emerging from superstitious beliefs that have developed over the years about what may have caused an excellent performance. Examples of things that may be contained in a pre-performance routine include: eating the same food before an event, putting clothes on in a certain order, wearing specific clothes, warming up in a certain way, taking some deep breaths, listening to a certain kind of music, and using the same positive key words.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Fun Way to Get More Steps: Try Walking Football
We knew Landon Donovan’s career was winding down when he wasn’t named to the last U.S. World Cup Soccer Team. After he retired in 2014 everyone assume...
Is jogging detrimental to my sprinting technique?
If performed in excess, jogging can negate the positive effects of proper sprinting mechanics. The t...
My shoulder muscles feel like they are burning, how do I prevent this?
This burning sensation you are referring to is the build-up of lactic acid in the muscles. As the in...
I need to work on my first-step quickness, any ideas?
Racing is the best way to improve your ability to get off the line. Either against someone else, or ...