How do I know when I mentally prepared to compete?

An ongoing psychological and physical awareness before competition is important to understand so you will know what you need to be prepared to compete. For example, where does your heart rate need to be for optimal performance, what thoughts are going through your head prior to competition, and if you have a rapid breath how do you calm that? Optimally being in "the zone," which is also referred to as a state of flow, comes as the best state of preparedness for competition. There are several common elements of flow in sports: a balance of challenge and skills, complete absorption in the activity, clear goals, merge of action and awareness, total concentration, loss of self-consciousness, a sense of control, no extra rewards, transformation of time, and effortless movement.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Is horseback riding a safe sport?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Horseback riding is a very popular sport in the United States but it does carry an element of risk. ...
What is the best conditioning for explosive sports?
To condition your body for explosive sports, it will be important to implement a progressive trainin...
What sports can help stimulate my brain?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
The most powerful brain boosters are activities that combine both aerobic activity and coordination....
What Motivates Athletes?
What Motivates Athletes?