How do I know when I mentally prepared to compete?

An ongoing psychological and physical awareness before competition is important to understand so you will know what you need to be prepared to compete. For example, where does your heart rate need to be for optimal performance, what thoughts are going through your head prior to competition, and if you have a rapid breath how do you calm that? Optimally being in "the zone," which is also referred to as a state of flow, comes as the best state of preparedness for competition. There are several common elements of flow in sports: a balance of challenge and skills, complete absorption in the activity, clear goals, merge of action and awareness, total concentration, loss of self-consciousness, a sense of control, no extra rewards, transformation of time, and effortless movement.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Odd Sports That Provide Great Fitness Benefits
You may not have heard of chess boxing (11 alternating rounds of fisticuffs and chess moves) or underwater rugby (apparently above-ground rugby isn’t ...
As a coach, how can I measure the aerobic fitness of my team?
Mr. Rich Kevan, CPTMr. Rich Kevan, CPT
The 2 easiest and simplest forms are a YMCA Step test and a Rockport walk test. These will give you ...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
What Is the Human Performance Institute?