How do I put a pre-performance routine together?

There is no perfect, right or ideal pre-performance routine. However there are some elements that constitute a better pre-performance routine:

• It should begin with some cue that signals the athlete to begin.
  • An athlete might engage in a short imagery session where they imagine themselves doing the task.
  • At the completion of that short imagery session athletes should focus on the positive feeling of having performed well, as this is a useful positive self-reinforcement tool.
  • The athlete should have a checklist of activities to perform during the pre-performance routine similar to packing for a trip, for the purpose of helping the athlete to focus their attention on the task at hand
  • As athletes complete a checklist, attention should be focused fully on the appropriate cues for performing. This routine is individualized and depends on the athlete and the sport. It may take as little as 15 or 30 seconds or as long as five or 10 minutes.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

What cold-related injuries commonly occur when snowboarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Hypothermia and frostbite can occur when snowboarding. Hypothermia occurs when the body’s temperatur...
How can I prevent knee injuries if I play sports?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
If you play sports, you can prevent knee injuries by making sure you strengthen your quadriceps and ...
How can I get stronger to perform better?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
To get stronger you first need to do a very thorough assessment. It can include an overhead squat, s...
How Precise Can You Fine-Tune an Athlete?