How do I mentally prepare myself to compete?

A pre-performance routine can be used prior to an event to mentally prepare an athlete and is helpful as a way to control the environment, provide stability in a highly unstable environment, trigger concentration, help decrease anxiety, and provide positive focus to someone who normally engages in negative self talk. Many athletes develop their own routine prior to an event, sometimes unconsciously emerging from superstitious beliefs that have developed over the years about what may have caused an excellent performance.

Examples of things that may be contained in a pre-performance routine include:

• eating the same food before an event
  • putting clothes on in a certain order
  • wearing specific clothes
  • warming up in a certain way
  • taking some deep breaths
  • istening to a certain kind of music
  • using the same positive key words

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How important are the strength tests at a sports combine?
The position you play in a given sport will determine the importance of the strength tests in the ey...
How often should I train for my sport?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
The amount of training needed is dependent on the individual, sport schedule, and specific needs of ...
What's the best technique for stand up paddleboarding?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
The best technique for stand up paddleboarding is as follows: start on knees, paddle while gaini...
What sports can help stimulate my brain?
The most powerful brain boosters are activities that combine both aerobic activity and coordination....