How do I increase my cadence?

When trying to increase cadence, you are teaching yourself a new activity. Some athletes find that they bounce on the saddle when trying to spin at a higher cadence. Rest assured that when the neuromuscular pathways are in place you will not bounce. Try increasing your cadence to the point when you feel yourself bouncing and then back off by 10 pedal strokes. So if you bounce at 97 rams try riding at 87 rams and perfect that cadence. You will soon find that riding at 87 RPMs is easy and you will be able to bring it up to 90. Work in small increments and you will adapt properly to the new activity. The most important thing is to keep at it, it will come! Neuromuscular adaptations take time and repletion to establish the proper recruitment patterns. This is time well spent, though, as a rider with a higher cadence is often more efficient and will be able to ride longer and harder without fatiguing.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Odd Sports That Provide Great Fitness Benefits
You may not have heard of chess boxing (11 alternating rounds of fisticuffs and chess moves) or underwater rugby (apparently above-ground rugby isn’t ...
How can I prevent my child from burning out in sports?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
Today we are trying to make sure we keep our kids active and healthy.  We want them to be a part of ...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games. By Rose Hayes When you’re an elite athlete with gold medal dreams, calori...
What Motivates You to Help Athletes?
What Motivates You to Help Athletes?