How do I enhance my performance?

Awareness of areas that you'd like to improve on is the first step in enhancing performance. Once you have an awareness of areas that you'd like to improve in your sports performance, there are three important phases of psychological skills training to incorporate: the education phase, the acquisition phase, and the practice phase. In order to develop and improve mental skills, research has shown that it is important to include all three phases of psychological skills training. In the education phase, a person must first identify what need they have for psychological skills training. During the identification period, a person also needs to become aware of the relevance of psychological skills training and how it applies to the their specific needs. For example, a person may think that mental skills training is only for someone who has psychological issues. It's important for this person to understand how mental skills training can be beneficial and applicable in a sport and exercise setting using specific examples of things addressing that person's need and hoping to "normalize" psychological skills training. In the acquisition phase, it's important for people to understand the range of techniques available to help address their needs and how to utilize those techniques. In the practice phase, people learn skills through extensive practice so that those skills become automatic and they can learn how to transfer those skills to their sport or exercise.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Fun Way to Get More Steps: Try Walking Football
We knew Landon Donovan’s career was winding down when he wasn’t named to the last U.S. World Cup Soccer Team. After he retired in 2014 everyone assume...
How can I quickly cut weight for my sport?
Weight cutting is a complicated and often times dangerous endeavor that should not be attempted unle...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
What Makes an Athlete?
What Makes an Athlete?