How do I approach switchbacks?

Keep in mind that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. However, the inside line in a switchback is also often the steepest pitch. So while the outside line is longer, it is also a little less steep which can provide a better line when climbing, and when descending. Make sure to look ahead and through the turn, so you know where you are going. Finding the exit of the turn is really important when steering your bike around a sharp corner. Brake before the turn and accelerate through it. Keep your inside leg up and counterbalance with your outside leg. Also remember to lean the bike and not your body.

Switchbacks are often steeply cambered. You can use this to your advantage to maintain speed around the corner. To maximize the camber of the turn to maintain your speed, proper body position is paramount. Gravity will pull you down the fall line, but to remain upright, it is important to use your body to counterbalance the force of gravity. Lean your bike, not your body and you will have a better chance of "keeping the rubber side down," an expression cyclists use to mean staying upright.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Fun Way to Get More Steps: Try Walking Football
We knew Landon Donovan’s career was winding down when he wasn’t named to the last U.S. World Cup Soccer Team. After he retired in 2014 everyone assume...
How can I use VO2 data to improve my fight performance?
V02 data, also known as VO2 max, maximum aerobic capacity, or maximum oxygen uptake, can help yo...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
How Important Are Lifestyle Changes for Professional Athletes?