How do I know when my child is ready for a team sports?

You’ll know your child is ready for team sports if she tones interest. She’ll start asking questions about the sport, or maybe even playing casually at school. Secondly, you’ll know she’s ready when you can see she’s physical maturing and developing coordination skills. Lastly, you can always ask her to gauge her interest! In summary, listen, observe, and ask!

You know when your child is ready for team sports when:

• He shows an interest.
  • His coordination and physical size are sufficient to minimize injury.
  • His social/emotional development is age appropriate and matched to teammates.

Before launching into a sports season, schedule a physical with your child’s pediatrician. Take the time to discuss your child’s readiness to participate in the sport. You may find that it’s better to delay participation, or you may determine that another sport or activity is a more suitable option.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Odd Sports That Provide Great Fitness Benefits
You may not have heard of chess boxing (11 alternating rounds of fisticuffs and chess moves) or underwater rugby (apparently above-ground rugby isn’t ...
How should I pace my next race?
Start with a controlled, slightly easier effort than threshold for the first 3 minutes, then set...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
How Important Is Technology for Athletic Performance?