How do I know when my child is ready for a team sports?

You know when your child is ready for team sports when:

• He shows an interest.
  • His coordination and physical size are sufficient to minimize injury.
  • His social/emotional development is age appropriate and matched to teammates.

Before launching into a sports season, schedule a physical with your child’s pediatrician. Take the time to discuss your child’s readiness to participate in the sport. You may find that it’s better to delay participation, or you may determine that another sport or activity is a more suitable option.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...
You’ll know your child is ready for team sports if she tones interest. She’ll start asking questions about the sport, or maybe even playing casually at school. Secondly, you’ll know she’s ready when you can see she’s physical maturing and developing coordination skills. Lastly, you can always ask her to gauge her interest! In summary, listen, observe, and ask!

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Fun Way to Get More Steps: Try Walking Football
We knew Landon Donovan’s career was winding down when he wasn’t named to the last U.S. World Cup Soccer Team. After he retired in 2014 everyone assume...
How do I keep from getting stuck in the 2nd turn of the pro shuttle drill?
Athletes usually have a lot of momentum going into the second turn of the pro shuttle drill because ...
What symptoms alert a young athlete to the possibility of death?
Symptoms that alert an athlete that something serious could be happening, include chest pain, syncop...
How can I help my kids play sports without burning out?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Playing sports brings many benefits, such as improved fitness and better social skills. But pressure...