How can I improve my range of motion when in the receiving position?

Increasing range of motion for the bottom position in the clean requires increasing flexibility in the ankles, knees, hips, torso, and shoulders. To achieve a proper bottom receiving position for the clean you need to have optimal ankle flexion, hip flexion and rotation, shoulder flexion and wrist flexion.   1.) Increasing ankle range of motion is easily improved by stretching the calf muscles.  Foam roll your calf and hold tender spots for 30 seconds, followed by stretches to target the calf held for 30-60 seconds 2.) Make sure your hips and hamstrings have adequate flexibility as well. Foam roll your hips, outer thighs, inner thighs, hamstrings and quads for 30 seconds a piece. Follow up with static stretches for each area of the legs. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds. After foam rolling and stretching, perform a dynamic warm up including body weight squats, and over head squats and front squats with the bar and work on receiving the bar in the full bottom position of the clean.  3.) For the clean, work on increasing flexibility in the wrists and upper torso. Stretch your forearm muscles daily before and after workouts followed by practicing front squats with the bar. Stretch the upper back by foam rolling the upper back and shoulders holding tender spots for 30 seconds. Then statically stretch your shoulders and back by positioning yourself on all fours with one arm on a stability ball. Reach that arm out as far as you can by rolling the ball forward and hold that stretch for 30 seconds. 4.) Strengthen the core with exercise like planks and medicine ball crunches on a ball to make the core stronger and better able to stabilize and maintain an upright position of the torso when putting  the body in the receiving position.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Is stepping backward before I move forward bad for quickness?
For a sports combine event, stepping backwards or what is termed a "bucket step," can be devastating...
Does increasing flexibility help or hinder athletic performance?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
Increased flexibility has a positive relationship to increased athletic performance. Balanced muscle...
Can I train to improve all my test scores for a sports combine?
Absolutely! It's about building upon your athletic attributes, improving your technique in each indi...
How can I train to be quick?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
The first step in training for quickness is to develop coordinated movement patterns specific to the...