What are the different schools of thought on carbohydrate loading?

As a fitness professional I have tested both methods and the first method generally only works best for bodybuilders.  For athletes the second method is far superior.  Too much depletion causes a decrease in performance which can be detremental physically and mentally for the athlete. 

Also many athletes make the mistake of doing two things wrong.

1. Loading carbs too much the day before ONLY
  2. Training too intense too close to the event.

You will notice that loading is to be done for 3-4 days before the event and exercise is to reduced in volume and intensity.  Exercise not only causes stress to the body but will deplete glycogen, a rested body that is full of glycogen loaded over 3-4 days means that the day of the even is a fully loaded and primed for maximum performance capacity.

The old school of thought was a two stage process in which an athlete would first carb deplete over a few days and then super saturate their muscles with high carbohydrate meals for three days before a race. The new school of thought eliminates the carb depletion stage and just has the athlete load up on higher levels of carbs for three days before a race. This modified method has been shown to be as effective at loading the body with carbs without making the athlete feel tired.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
On February 18, 2009, the point guard for the Phoenix Suns, Amar′e Stoudemire, was poked in the eye by LA Clippers’ forward Al Thornton. The result? A...
How often should I train for my sport?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
The amount of training needed is dependent on the individual, sport schedule, and specific needs of ...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
How Do You Help Athletes Achieve Success?