What is the best conditioning program to prepare to go skiing for a week?

The first goal of cardiovascular training for skiing is to build a good aerobic base. To start the process, you will need to build up your work capacity. This is done by doing lower-intensity work on cardio equipment to reduce the pounding on the joints. Building the work capacity slowly is a safe way to ensure you that when you start the higher intensity, you will be able to maintain good form. Once you can handle at least thirty minutes of low-intensity training, increase your aerobic base by pushing the anaerobic threshold higher. Skiing can be a series of anaerobic bursts if you are going down the hill at high speeds. Doing intervals that put high demands on the legs for one minute at a time is a good way to build cardiovascular and leg strength. You might have to start with fifteen second intervals and slowly build up to the one minute goal. These high-intensity intervals should be done two times per week.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can being in love improve my athletic performance?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Love is the drug for better athletic performance. According to a study from California State Univers...
Are digital jumping pads accurate when assessing vertical jump?
Yes. When proper technique and testing procedures are followed the test results are similar to other...
Should I jump into my turns for the pro shuttle or L-drill?
Unfortunately, jumping into your turns is not good for a successful time. When your feet are off the...
I need to work on my first-step quickness, any ideas?
Racing is the best way to improve your ability to get off the line. Either against someone else, or ...