What is the first answer to why we suffer?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
The first answer to why we suffer -- that suffering is an inevitable part of life -- is based on nature. Every creature is born and dies. In between these two poles, creatures fight to remain alive. The physical body is exposed to danger from every side -- famine, violence, accidents, aging, and death are the most prominent. If you dig up the remains of prehistoric humans, their bodies are ravaged by almost all of these threats. Therefore it seems only natural that you and I must suffer, because nature is simply designed that way for all animals. Let's call this the fatalistic view, because although human beings have fought for centuries to alleviate famine and disease, other causes of suffering, such as war and violence, have proved incurable. After the horrendous events of September 11, 2001, I could sense in myself and all those around me the voice of fatalism saying, "Try as hard as you want, but in the end you will never rid human nature of irrational violence and hatred." This voice arises from the first answer, that suffering is inevitable.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it. Some experts describe it as a belief in something bigger tha...
How does religion help in shaping me to become nice and perfect?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
Religion encourages us to have only pure thoughts and do only good deeds. Need I remind you of the T...
Is there order in the universe?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
Rhythm and harmony, order and symmetry, even color and flavor are terms regularly used by astonished...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?