What happens when science and religion are combined?

When science and religion intersect, the result is a field known as neurotheology. The goal of this field is to determine what is going on in the brain during a religious experience.

Obviously, neurotheology can be somewhat controversial; those with deep spiritual beliefs about the connection between a human being and his or her creator are not thrilled about the idea of reducing religion to something that is going on in the brain.

But work by scientists does seem to demonstrate that there is a connection between our brain and our prayers. So, are we simply responding to how our brain fires when we go to church on Sunday morning, or, is there more to it after all?

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
What happens if I decide to lead a consciously spiritual life?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
If you decide to lead a consciously spiritual life, a change occurs. The principles of the operating...
How can being true to myself affect how I feel about life and death?
David L. Kaelin, DMDDavid L. Kaelin, DMD
When we try to live up to the expectations of others -- our family of origin, our family of choi...
What Does Spirituality Have to Do with Physical Health?