What happens when science and religion are combined?

When science and religion intersect, the result is a field known as neurotheology. The goal of this field is to determine what is going on in the brain during a religious experience.

Obviously, neurotheology can be somewhat controversial; those with deep spiritual beliefs about the connection between a human being and his or her creator are not thrilled about the idea of reducing religion to something that is going on in the brain.

But work by scientists does seem to demonstrate that there is a connection between our brain and our prayers. So, are we simply responding to how our brain fires when we go to church on Sunday morning, or, is there more to it after all?

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

What is breath?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
At this moment my soul is with me. It is as close as my breath. This affirmation is about the nea...
Why should I pray to show my love?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Let others see you as you truly are. At many points on the spiritual path you will feel exalted and ...
What is the impact of a lack of spiritual faith?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
Without faith in a higher order and the existence of something outside ourselves and our everyday li...
Why is it impossible not to lead a spiritual life?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
At a deep level, it's impossible not to lead a spiritual life. You and I are as deeply engaged in ma...